GEAI (Good Energies Alliance Ireland) is currently running Climate Action days for Transition Year students in Mohill Community College. This activity is lead by our team of EVS volunteers.
On November 20th we met again for the second Climate Action day. The aim of this session was to take a closer look at the actual problems the world (and Ireland in particular) is facing, and come up with the ideas for our personal actions, something easy to do and at the same time interesting for the students.
The issues about the challenges students came up with were brilliant:
- Apathetic governments;
- World leaders not believing climate change is an issue;
- People aren’t open to change;
- Organic products too expensive;
- Deforestation for extraction of palm oil;
And many more.
We were all impressed by this piece of work, and in the second part of the session we came up with action plans for the nearest 3 weeks.
We had 5 groups working on the following topics:
- Nature and biodiversity;
- Green energy and transport;
- Waste, plastics and recycling;
- Food and composting;
- and an extra one which took the political route and decided to interview local politicians.
Next time we’re going to meet in the Organic Centre in Rossinver. The students will present the results of their work. We look forward to it!
For more pictures follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/geaireland/